Thursday, July 19, 2007

You're Beautiful

A tremendous attack of writers’ block has beset me ever since I got my lappy. I think it has something to do with the way I keep confusing it for my fragile first-born. I stare for hours at the beautiful shiny surfaces that gleam with the light of joy reflected from my eyes. I run my fingers along the keypad, thrilled by its virgin sheen and I just can’t bring myself to hurt it with harsh keystrokes. I’m absolutely infatuated with it; and every time I sit down to vent my frustrations about some publicity stunt or ponder about the infinite nature of human stupidity (as Einstein had once put it, for all the ignoramuses out there) all the words seem to get tangled up and suddenly all I can think of is whether my keystrokes are light enough and whether I’m abusing my touchpad. I just can’t get properly angry or feel whatever passion may be required for whatever I’m writing on. And unless every key feels what you’re feeling, it’s just not going to sound right!

Yeouch! I’ve been shaking my legs without remembering I have my lappy positioned between my stomach and my thighs, at an angle of 35 degrees. I think I just had a nervous breakdown.

Ah that’s better. I decided not to get so physical with it after all, and have currently restrained myself to the extent of keeping it on the table. Ah my beautiful baby!!

Here’s a poem for it

Beautiful lappy, so shiny and grey

Manufactured in my heart to stay

Who for such dainties would not shop?

Lappy of the evening, beautiful laptop.

Beautiful lappy – who cares for ipod?

Or digicams or funky phones without cord?

Your 120 GB hard drive sure makes me happy!

Lappy of the evening, beautiful lappy!

[ p.s. For those who haven’t figured it out yet, that was a self-confessedly pathetic imitation of “Beautiful Soup” from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

If you’re interested, it goes:

Beautiful soup, so rich and green

Waiting in a hot tureen

Who for such dainties would not stoop?

Soup of the evening, beautiful soup.]

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

why would you have a NERVOUS BREAKDOWN if you kept your laptop on your LAP?
and boy, aren't you critical of those who don't know einstein's quotes! sheesh! (rolls eyes, throws up hands in despair)

ramya kumar said...

will get my hands on "alice..." someday. 120 GB. lucky bum!i m stuck with 80. and i m sure you ll come around to dropping it/ abusing/neglecting it within a month. ah the way the sheen fades from the newly materialized material-dreams. so sad and yet so beautiful.

ramya kumar said...

and it s my birthday! 2.5 hours more. tick-tock-tick-tock...

Unknown said...

@jay: the nervous breakdown was because of the dawning of the realization that i was subjecting my beloved dil-ka-tukda to mechanical shocks and vibrations that might wreck havoc with its delicate internal machinery...and it wasn't really on my lap you know. it was precariously balanced in the aforementioned position. as for the einstein bit - i have nothing to say but this - (sheepish grin)
@ramya: i KNOW it's your birthday!! i NEVER forget birthdays, not ANYONE's.

Rishabh Kaul said...

congrats! Now you too will forever be online on Gtalk, with status always set to busy

Arun Sethuraman said...

Gimme gimme!
Gimme your lappie!
eeeeeeeeeee!**trails away, banging head to some weird tune**

Sap said...

"vibrations that might wreck havoc with its delicate internal machinery"

it can work both ways you know! [:P]

Nilanjana said...

@sap: then i just had my nervous breakdown number 2

Monisha said...

what am i supposed to do?? haha.. okim waiiiting 4 your blog on today's show!!!

Anonymous said...

@sap: but still, a nervous breakdown? maybe, if you believe what the greeks thought about the origins of hysteria!!! [:)]
lol!

Anonymous said...

know what its like. i just can't get enough of cleaning my laptop. mine's 160 gb btw (:P). btw if you shake too much your hard disk's writing arm might hit the data disk too hard resulting in an unrepairable dent on your drive that could virtually render your laptop useless. (:P)

Vivek Krishnan said...

@jay: the greeks thought about it a few years ago. we dont need to do it again.

dreamy said...

Infatuated with you lappy?

ROTFL!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure ull be referring to it as "My Precious" soon enough...
*gollum gollum*

Chinmay Kulkarni said...

Sigh!

Kim said...

Hey Nilanjana...I some how ended up reading ur blog while i was browsing thru fellow Bitssians bloggers...I must compliment u ..u write well...But the last posts seems to b v old ??? Keep posting girl...

Well regarding me...am C6, 2001 batch...i guess that wud suffice...